Virtual Farm Q & A Sessions
Educators, did you know that BCAITC can bring a farmer into your classroom (virtually) for a Q and A session? A passionate and knowledgeable BC farmer can connect online to answer your students' questions about our food systems. This is a wonderful opportunity (especially in today's new normal learning environments) to bring farming alive in your classrooms! Sow the seeds of learning .. teach your K-12 students about the food we eat and how it arrives from farm to table.
Some of the speaking topics available include the following (subject to farmer availability)
- Agriculture Products Farming (growing crops) - for example fruits, vegetables, flowers, grains, etc.
- Livestock Farming (raising animals) - for example, beef, dairy, sheep, turkeys, etc.
- Aquaculture Farming (farming aquatic organisms) - for example fish, shellfish, salmon, etc.
- Types of farming: Orchards, greenhouse, large livestock, birds, fish, flowers, field
How Does It Work?
- Contact our BCAITC Education Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a preferred time/date and speaking topic. Sessions are generally 30 to 60 minutes.
- Our Education Specialist will confirm the presentation details with you.
- Have your students prepare a list of questions for the farmer. See some suggested sample questions here.
- Ensure that you are signed up for the Zoom platform and have a laptop, tablet, or mobile phone available.
- Invite your students to the Zoom session.
- Connect to the farmer via Zoom at the scheduled time.
Classrooms who have participated in our virtual farm Q & A sessions have learned so much about the A to Z's of agriculture. Here's some of the positive teacher feedback:
- We loved this project…
- …My class got all their prepared questions answered plus a lot more!
- …I would definitely do this again…
- It definitely turned my class into very eager learners. …They are STILL talking about it.
- …Our students enjoyed it immensely.