Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge
Students, Submit a BC Farm Story and Receive $100!
BC Grade 8-12 students, submit a story about your favourite BC farm to our Farm Explorer BC site from December 14, 2022 to March 15, 2023 and be rewarded $100*!
Students, Participate in this Fun Challenge to:
- Learn about a BC farm.
- Gain interviewing and writing skills.
- See your story published online.
- Receive $100*!
Teachers, Introduce this Educational Challenge to your Classrooms to:
- Help students learn about agriculture, food, and the value of local farms.
- Teach students about GIS applications with a related lesson plan ‘Telling BC’s Food Stories'.
- Provide a fun and rewarding classroom educational activity. Your classroom could earn up to $3,000 (based on 30 farm submissions)*!
- Connect to English Language Arts, Social Studies, ADST, Marketing, and related curriculum.
How To Participate in the Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge
- CHECK OUT the farm stories featured at Farm Explorer BC (a great story to review is THE BOG Riverside Cranberry Farm).
- CONTACT a BC farm (that is open to the public for the sale of agriculture products, tours, or recreation) for an in-person, online, or telephone interview to profile the farm’s story on Farm Explorer BC. Before contacting the farm, ensure that there is not already a story created on the site.
- COLLECT all the information for the farm story (edit the story for grammar and spelling). Also, obtain 2-5 quality photos of the farm, a farm logo, and video links (if available).
- COMPLETE the online Farm Explorer BC submission form. Ensure that all required information is supplied (including farmer approval) and photos and logo are uploaded.
*See Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge Guidelines below for full details.
Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge Guidelines
- The Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge (the Challenge) is produced by BC Agriculture in the Classroom Foundation (BCAITC).
- The Challenge is open from 8:00am PST December 14, 2022 to 3:00pm PST March 15, 2023.
- To be eligible to enter the Challenge, a participant must be a grade 8-12 student (or group of grade 8-12 students) residing in British Columbia.
- To qualify for a reward, the participant must submit a farm story to the Farm Explorer BC profile submission form at https://arcg.is/yGqaO0 that meets the following criteria:
- The farm story must profile a farm situated in British Columbia that is open to the public (for example the farm provides public tours and/or sells agriculture products). Participants cannot submit stories for farms that already have stories profiled on the Farm Explorer BC hub: https://farm-explorer-bc-bcaitc.hub.arcgis.com. Participants must contact the farm owner before submitting a farm story to Farm Explorer BC profile submission form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0 to receive permission to profile the farm.
- All required information fields on the Farm Explorer BC profile submission form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0 must be completed.
- The copy in the written sections of the Farm Explorer BC profile form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0 must be written in English and be free of spelling and grammar errors.
- 2-5 photos of the farm in JPG or PNG format, minimum 1,200 pixels on long side of image at 72 DPI or larger must be uploaded to the Farm Explorer BC profile submission form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0.
- If available, 1 farm logo (if available) in JPG or PNG format, minimum 300 pixels on long side of image at 72 DPI or larger must be uploaded to the Farm Explorer BC profile submission form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0.
- The copy and photos uploaded to the Farm Explorer BC profile submission form https://arcg.is/yGqaO0 can be original content or reproduced. Any copy or images must have the approval of the farm for use.
- Limit of 2 farm story submissions per participant.
- Each qualifying submission for the Farm Explorer BC hub https://farm-explorer-bc-bcaitc.hub.arcgis.com will be awarded $100 Canadian. A maximum of 100 rewards will be awarded. Rewards will be sent by cheque to qualifying Challenge participants by March 31, 2023. No substitutions and/or variations of the rewards are permitted, except at BCAITC’s sole discretion. BCAITC is not responsible for lost or stolen rewards.
- All farm story submissions on Farm Explorer BC https://farm-explorer-bc-bcaitc.hub.arcgis.com will be professionally edited post-submission.
- This Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, provincial, and municipal laws.
- By entering, all participants release and agree to hold harmless BCAITC, Buy BC, Fraser Valley Farm Direct Marketing Association, any of their respective directors and employees (the Released Parties) from and against any and all liability for any injuries, damages to person, personal property or any other loss whatsoever (causes directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by the contestant’s participation in the contest.
- The Released Parties are not responsible for lost, misplaced, misdirected, illegible, incomplete, or damaged submissions, or submissions received after the Challenge deadline.
- BCAITC reserves the right to alter, postpone, or cancel this Challenge in any way at any time.
Spread the Message
Share this flyer and spread the news about the Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge.
Farm Explorer BC and the Farm Explorer BC Story Challenge are brought to you by BCAITC. We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of The Province of British Columbia through the Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Fraser Valley Farm Direct Marketing Association to bring these initiatives to life.